It’s challenging to paint up your room and baseboards if you are having carpet spread over the place. There are many chances that the paint will fall on the mat and paint is not that easy to clean up from the surface of the carpet. It’s very tricky to paint the baseboards without getting the paint on the carpets.
Materials Required to Paint Baseboards:
- Sandpaper for Cleaning
- Tack Cloth
- Putty Knife
- Paint Brush
- Paint Thinner
- Required Paint
- Clear Varnish
- Wood Fillers for Filling Gaps
What Type of Paint Should You Use for Baseboards?
Baseboards are often subjected to most dirt and dust, so the paint should be easy to clean. You can use semi-gloss paint for the baseboards. Semigloss paints offer a bit of sheen and also easy to clean.
What Color Should You Paint Your Baseboards?
There are different approaches to choose colors after installing your baseboards. The color of the baseboard trim must compliment the wall color. Use light or dark shades to that of the wall color. It is also advisable to choose the same color as that of the wall.
Steps to Follow for Painting Baseboards
1. Protect the carpet with Drop Sheet :
- Before starting the painting work, cover the main areas of carpet with a drop sheet.
- Tuck Painters tape under the baseboard.
- Make sure not to damage the baseboard or gouge while attaching the drop sheet of the painter’s tape.
2. Clean the Surface before Painting :
Dust always accumulates at the bottom of the walls. It’s essential to clean the surfaces well before starting the painting process. Use trisodium phosphate(TSP) to remove all dirt and grease from the walls. TSP is a non-toxic powder that can be used in your households for cleaning. Mixing the powder with water forms an effective cleaning solution.
3. Fill the Gouges and Nail holes :
Before starting the paintwork, be sure that there are no gaps on the baseboards formed by the nails. Fill up the big holes and dings with spackle and allow it to dry. Now using the sandpaper clean up the areas, you have repaired.
4. Painting the Baseboards :
- As the gaps and holes are filled up, use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dirt and clean up with a damp cloth.
- Now since drop sheet and paint tape protect the carpet, it’s time to start the painting.
- Using a paintbrush paint all the baseboards with the color you like.
- Dip the paintbrush into the bucket and see that there is no excess paint on the brush. It’s essential that the paintbrush does not drip.
- While painting on the bottom of the baseboard see that you apply only small strokes and avoid dripping of paint onto the carpet.
- Immediately wipe off any mistakes use a small cloth.
- Apply a few more coats if necessary.
Painting of Baseboards is a very tedious job, and you should be very careful in trimming and painting all the surfaces at a time. The painting work is also time taking and it needs a lot of patience to handle the job. If you do not have that much time, then contact our Professionals at Executive Touch Painters for having your baseboards and walls painted without any hurdles. Call us at (416) 410-0164 for a Free Estimate!